Saturday, October 11, 2008

Apple butter, YUM YUM!

If you saw my last post, you know that we went apple picking last week. Well I'm finally getting around to doing something with all of those apples. Fortunately a few we picked were a little under-ripe, so now they are PERFECT!!
My first apple dish is apple butter! First you have to make apple sauce and then basically sweeten and spice it up then concentrate it down. So I took some pictures along the way so that next time I'll know just what it's supposed to look like!
1-boil apple slices in apple juice and sugar! Notice that I left the skins on. I read that leaving the skins on give the apple butter a better color. Also notice I have a combination of different type of apples...this is supposed to give a better flavor.



After boiling and mashing with a potato masher:

After blending:

I choose to use a blender to grind up the skins since I don't have a food mill. This worked great!! There are a few little chunks but tastes and looks really nice!

Final Product!!!


I started with a dozen apples and ended up with about 9 and a half, half-pint jars. They are cooling now. It is a little runnier than I wanted, more like thick sauce. I'm hoping it thickens up more as it cools. I think it will taste great on hot biscuits; my husband is hoping it stays a little runny so he can use it as ice cream topping!!
Peeking out of the back there is a jar of the raspberry jam!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EDIT: Kim wants to try this and needed to know how much sugar, so I'm just posting the entire recipe!! This is from the Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book
4.5lbs tart cooking apples, cored and quartered (about 14 medium)
4 cups apple cider or apple juice
2 cups sugar
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
.5 tsp ground cloves (I didn't use this)
.5 tsp ground allspice
1-in 8 or 10 qt pot combine apples and cider or juice. Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 min, stirring occasionally. Press through food mill or sieve (I used a blender). Return to pot. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice. Bring back to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered over very low heat 1.5 hours or until very thick, stirring often.
2-Ladle into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rims; adjust lids. Process in boiling water canner 5 minutes (start timing when water boils). Remove jars and cool on racks. Makes 8 half pints.
Note: I don't have a "canner", just use a big pot and make sure your jars are completely submerged!!

2 comments:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Please share how much sugar. I really wanna try this. =) It looks so yums...

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I'm making this this weekend (hopefully)- WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee.... I'll let ya know how it goes.